Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » NETAPP and Oracle DR (Oracle 10g)
NETAPP and Oracle DR [message #542520] Tue, 07 February 2012 12:25 Go to next message
Rajeevz
Hi ,

We are in the process of setting up a DR environment for our SAP and Oracle databases . The netapp and our architects came up with solution as follows .

1.Standby databases are built for all production databases.
2.The SAP file systems are replicated to the secondary site
3.The Oracle logfiles and controlfiles are replicated by netapp snap mirror every 10 mins interval
4.The database is recovered through recover standby database every 15 mins at standby site
5.Please note there is no data guard involved .
6.To test the failover , the mirror is broken .The standby controlfile is replaced with Production controlfile and Redo logs files.
7.The standby database issued a startup comnmand and it worked .

Would like to know whether the step 6 is a correct approach ? I tried to convince the architects that this will result in a very disastrous situation for us but none is listened to . Please can you help me in the Step 6 . should it work ? Or something the Oracle should worry about ?

Regards,
Rajeev

[Updated on: Wed, 08 February 2012 01:38] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: NETAPP and Oracle DR [message #542563 is a reply to message #542520] Wed, 08 February 2012 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
To validate a DR setup I would not trust what I'd get on forum.
Why don't you test it (on a local system)?

Regards
Michel
Re: NETAPP and Oracle DR [message #542566 is a reply to message #542563] Wed, 08 February 2012 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajeevz
Hi ,

This is already tested and it works . The worry is ,this is not a vendor (Oracle support) approved recovery method for a standby database.

Just wanted to check if anyone has recovered standby database by replacing it's controlfile with production DB controlfile instead of just activating the standby database by a Oracle recommended procedure.

Regards,
Rajeev
Re: NETAPP and Oracle DR [message #542580 is a reply to message #542566] Wed, 08 February 2012 02:11 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

What I meant is that:
1/ given the underlying mechanisms, it is most likely that it should work
2/ given it is not supported, it has not been fully tested by Oracle, there may be something that might it not work in some cases.

Now, the question for you (or rather your client) is: do you (he) accept the risk?
The second question is, why don't you use a standard standby (data guard or not) solution?

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Archiver Stuck
Next Topic: incomplete physical backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:49:51 CDT 2024