Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B" (OS/Oracle Version: Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 on OEL 5.7 to Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 OEL 5.7)
Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B" [message #588639] Thu, 27 June 2013 04:30 Go to next message
Andrey_R
Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B"
OS/Oracle Version: Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 on OEL 5.7 to Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 OEL 5.7

Hi all,
I am trying to test a scenario in which I have a

Source =========> DB Instance "SRCDB", Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 on OEL 5.7(VM named "HOST_SRC" )
Destination ======> DB Instance "ORCL", Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 on OEL 5.7(VM named "HOST_DST")

Both are in Archivelog mode.

I want to backup the "SRCDB" database(residing on the host "HOST_SRC") ,
And restore it on the "ORCL" instance(residing on the host "HOST_DST") using RMAN backups.

My scenario is that at 11:30 AM my "SRCDB" database crashes and can't recover for some reason.
For hardware/resource reasons "SRCDB" is no longer an option for hosting the database.

I want to restore and recover the database on the database on "HOST_DST" machine,
With no problem of having all the data of "ORCL" completely wiped out, as it is only an initially installed database.

Oracle installation folder names are slightly different (service name differs, "flash_recovery area" vs. "fast_recovery_are", diffeent folder names for the SID e.t.c).

On the Source Database "SRCDB" I have:

1. A daily incremental level 0 backup finished at approx. 02:00 AM to folder "/u01/app/oracle/backupsets/"
Which contains:
(a). data files backed up to a backup set
(b). archive redo logs backed up to a backup set
(c). control file & spfile backed up to a backup set
(b). archive redo logs backed up to a backup set

2. I have every other file I want from the "HOST_SRC" machine
Available to transfer to "HOST_DST" for implementation in the "new" database.

On DESTINATION INSTANCE "ORCL":

I copied the backup files I specified in part "1." to the backup directory /u01/app/oracle/backupsets/.
*This is the same directory name as where I backed up the database to on "SRCDB" on "HOST_SRC".

I tried to restore the control file on the new instance from the controlfile backup on my source instance
(because it has the info of where the backup files are in it)
and it was done successfully:

rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Jun 27 09:01:37 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: ORCL (DBID=1341263457)

RMAN> shutdown immediate;

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
database closed
database dismounted
Oracle instance shut down

RMAN> startup nomount;

connected to target database (not started)
Oracle instance started

Total System Global Area    2505338880 bytes

Fixed Size                     2215944 bytes
Variable Size               1392513016 bytes
Database Buffers            1107296256 bytes
Redo Buffers                   3313664 bytes

RMAN> restore controlfile from '/u01/app/oracle/backupsets/control_files/cf_c-723136623-20130626-00.BCKP';

Starting restore at 27-JUN-13
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=19 device type=DISK

channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring control file
channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete, elapsed time: 00:00:05
output file name=/u01/app/oracle/oradata/orcl/control01.ctl
output file name=/u01/app/oracle/flash_recovery_area/orcl/control02.ctl
Finished restore at 27-JUN-13

RMAN>

When I tried to mount the database - it gave me an error:

RMAN> mount database;

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-03002: failure of alter db command at 06/27/2013 09:08:07
ORA-01103: database name 'SRCDB' in control file is not 'ORCL'

So I've done some more readong and thought I might want to backup the source instance controlfile to trace,
modify it according to the new instance's data structures (data files, redo logs, files e.t.c) and database name.

So I did "BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE;"(on the SOURCE instance), moved it to the destination instance,
(I also renamed the file to "orcl_ora_1113.trc"),
replaced the "SRCDB" with "ORCL" , and on the DESTINATION instance I tried to restore from this controlfile:

RMAN> restore controlfile from '/u01/app/oracle/diag/rdbms/orcl/DB11G/trace/orcl_ora_1113.trc';

Starting restore at 27-JUN-13
using channel ORA_DISK_1

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 06/27/2013 09:22:20
RMAN-06172: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece

RMAN>

Now, I know that I have differences in the folder structures, and that data files in the controlfile I'm trying to import do not exist in the destination database instance,
So I would like to ask what you experts think...

Is it at all possible?
Am I doing it all wrong?
What are the actions I should do in order to complete this procedure?

Thanks in advance,
Andrey
Re: Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B" [message #588656 is a reply to message #588639] Thu, 27 June 2013 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I do not believe tat what you re trying to do will ever work, because you are trying to open an 11.2.0.3 database with 11.2.0.1 executables.
Once you have installed the correct release of the software, you need to follow the instructions in the Backup And Recovery User's Guide for "Backup-Based Duplication Without a Target and a Recovery Catalog Connection".
Re: Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B" [message #588703 is a reply to message #588656] Thu, 27 June 2013 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Hi John,

Thank you for the reply and advice.

John Watson wrote on Thu, 27 June 2013 13:04
I do not believe tat what you re trying to do will ever work, because you are trying to open an 11.2.0.3 database with 11.2.0.1 executables.
Once you have installed the correct release of the software, you need to follow the instructions in the Backup And Recovery User's Guide for "Backup-Based Duplication Without a Target and a Recovery Catalog Connection".

I hope I'll get to this sometimes, as I depend on other people and considerations to do that.

Maybe I'll try to do the same (and follow the steps stated in the place in the documentation you pointed me to)
On two 11.2.0.1.0 environments and will share how it went.

I just wonder if I should then post it in this thread, or open a new one Confused ?

Regards,
Andrey

Re: Topic:Backup on DB Instance "A" , Restore&Recover on DB instance "B" [message #589261 is a reply to message #588703] Wed, 03 July 2013 17:41 Go to previous message
crispinux
why are you tying to restore one database in different versions?, is better if you install the correct release in both instances, mmm you are restoring one database with different name that is not possible if you don't use the duplicate option in rman or restore the database with the original name and then use the nid to change the name of the database.

Previous Topic: Data files backed up to FRA instead of specified location
Next Topic: Duplicate target database unable to open database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:48:06 CDT 2024