Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » OS SNAP for Oracle DB in NOARCHIVE LOG MODE. (OS SNAP for Oracle DB in NOARCHIVE LOG MODE.)
OS SNAP for Oracle DB in NOARCHIVE LOG MODE. [message #626968] Wed, 05 November 2014 21:01 Go to next message
hexmanju
Is it possible to bring up an oracle DB when the OS ADMIN take an OS SNAP of an Oracle Database running in NOARCHIVELOG MODE ?The SNAP is taken while the DB is up and running.
The OS Admin takes that snap and mounts it in another system .He asks the DBA to now bring up the DB.

Will the DB come up,especially bcos the SNAPSHOT of the DB was taken when the DB was up and the DB is no archive log mode creating no archives for recovery?
Re: OS SNAP for Oracle DB in NOARCHIVE LOG MODE. [message #626969 is a reply to message #626968] Wed, 05 November 2014 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jitu_jack

Chances are very low that you would able to start database was up. But one thing is possible, if OS snap is consistent across all the datafile, than most probably oracle would go for instance crash recovery and might able to start the database. It is like you switched off the system and crash the instance.
Re: OS SNAP for Oracle DB in NOARCHIVE LOG MODE. [message #626976 is a reply to message #626968] Thu, 06 November 2014 01:17 Go to previous message
John Watson
In my experience, this can work. A client of our uses VMWare. As a test, they took what they called a snapshot (I have no idea what this is - that was just the term used) of the machine which included both disc and memory, restored it, and everything was as before. I didn't even have to start the database, all the processes were running.
Previous Topic: Rman database backup failed
Next Topic: RMAN-06004,ORA-04061:, ORA-04065:, ORA-06508
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:55:02 CDT 2024