Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Backup to device in network (Windows Server 2012 R2)
icon5.gif  RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634102] Wed, 04 March 2015 08:13 Go to next message
abdulhameedom
Hi all,

I am very new for dba activities, i have asked one question from my senior member of my team. please help me to answer his question.

Question Is.

There is a Windows server with Oracle 11gR2 Database, This database RMAN Backup is stored in a Tape Device which is configured in the same server.

He asked me, is it possible to store different Database RMAN backups in the same Tape device ? ( Another database also in the same network and same version of Database that is 11gR2. which was not configured RMAN Backup)

i said it is possible, we need to map the device in the second database RMAN configuration page.

Is my answer is correct, please some one explain me more details about the RMAN Configuration to Tape Device. he promised me, if my answer is correct then he will assign the backup configuration task to me.

Please some one help me to get this chance Embarassed

Regards
Hamid
Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634104 is a reply to message #634102] Wed, 04 March 2015 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
i said it is possible, we need to map the device in the second database RMAN configuration page.

Is my answer is correct

Yes.

Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634107 is a reply to message #634104] Wed, 04 March 2015 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abdulhameedom
Yessssssssss...Thank you...

Because of Windows network i just need to map the tape device in RMAN configuration in the New DB.. is init,,

Kindly any one share if there any other configuration parameter i have to set for this, because i do not know what parameter they configured for the previous DB which is presently giving backup to the tape device.!

Thanks in Advance

Hamid
Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634112 is a reply to message #634107] Wed, 04 March 2015 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You have to first have a look at the current backup/restore scripts as this can be done with many different ways depending on your environment.

Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634117 is a reply to message #634102] Wed, 04 March 2015 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
You have your immediate answer, but let me challenge you a bit.

Why would you think it might NOT be possible?

The tape is just a storage device. It writes whatever it is told to write, it reads whatever it is told to read. rman is just one of many possible clients that could be using the tape. rman can use the tape not because the tape device knows anything about rman, but because rman knows about the device.

You mention an "RMAN configuration page", which I assume refers to some GUI interface, perhaps Grid Control or dbcontrol? If so, I'd advise you to start looking behind the pretty pictures. They represent more moving parts that can break. If you are having to do a database recovery at zero-dark-thirty, you better know how to work at a command line, because it is very likely not only is your database not available, but those pretty pictures won't be available either.
Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634156 is a reply to message #634102] Wed, 04 March 2015 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
BTW, it is a very bad practice to expose your email on a public forum -- like using your email for your screen name!

Even now every web crawler on the planet is harvesting your email address for less than honorable use. You can expect to soon find your mailbox flooded with offers for certain, uh, 'anatomical enhancement' products and offers to cut you in on the action if you will only help launder $10,000,000 US Dollars out of Nigeria; only your bank account number and access code is needed.
Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634159 is a reply to message #634156] Thu, 05 March 2015 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abdulhameedom
Laughing Laughing
I already received several Billion $'s from Sadam Hussins Swiss account... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks a lot for your advice, i will change my mail in a min.
Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634160 is a reply to message #634159] Thu, 05 March 2015 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You can also change your login name.
Click on "Control Panel" above, then "Account settings" then "change login".
This change will be reflected in all the posts you made and so the email will be hidden.

Re: RMAN Backup to device in network [message #634162 is a reply to message #634160] Thu, 05 March 2015 01:19 Go to previous message
abdulhameedom
Thanks a lot for your advice..Mr.Michel Cadot

Regarding the RMAN , Coming Sunday i will get the chance to do that in Production Environment, and i will update the method here in detail.
Previous Topic: Sync all data between 2 servers
Next Topic: BACKUP and RECOVERY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:32:59 CDT 2024