Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Oracle 9i featues RAC vs OPS
Oracle 9i featues RAC vs OPS [message #21192] Wed, 17 July 2002 12:25 Go to next message
sateesh
What is the different between the new RAC feature - real application cluster and OPS... for me it sound the same.. Please provide with some example.. Thanks
Re: Oracle 9i featues RAC vs OPS [message #21197 is a reply to message #21192] Wed, 17 July 2002 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Real Application Clusters essentially is the
replacement for OPS. RAC environments are functionally
transparent when compared to single instance
environments.
Re: Oracle 9i featues RAC vs OPS [message #513221 is a reply to message #21197] Fri, 24 June 2011 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachiorafaq
Oracle 7, 8, and 8i let you cluster multiple machines against the same datafiles with Oracle Parallel Server, OPS. This gives you good scalability and high availability. There was a problem with OPS, though. If one instance modified a data block, and that data block was requested by another instance, that dirty data block had to be written to disk first before the second instance could read it. This was known as "disk pinging" and could hamper performance. Oracle 8.1.6 introduced a concept known as Cache Fusion. With Cache Fusion, dirty blocks could be moved along the cluster interconnect to the second instance's buffer cache. Disk pinging was removed from the equation. Before Cache Fusion, the only way to avoid disk pinging was to segragate application.
Re: Oracle 9i featues RAC vs OPS [message #513229 is a reply to message #513221] Fri, 24 June 2011 11:03 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ When the question was up to date in 2002, no one now cares about OPS.
3/ Cache Fusion was introduced in 9i NOT in 8i.
3/ Let the zombie rest in peace.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Oracle RAC server reboot
Next Topic: Upgrade of Oracle RAC and Stadby database in HP UX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:18:29 CDT 2024