Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris (ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris)
icon8.gif  ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris [message #282558] Thu, 22 November 2007 06:26 Go to next message
rkulasek
Hi

I am an Oracle developer and I am a newbie to the ORACLE RAC world.
My objective is to configure and study the performance of our database in a Oracle 10g RAC setup.
So far, this database has been running in single-server only.

From the documentation that I have read, ORACLE requires some Cluster software for running RAC.

We have two servers setup in a Sun-Cluster mode. I think Sun Cluster 6.0 has been used.
Can I use these cluster servers for the RAC testing? If so, what steps should I use?
Do I need to do any changes to the Sun-Cluster setup for the sake of RAC? Or can I get started directly wth RAC?

All your inputs will be very valuable.

Raja
Re: ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris [message #282562 is a reply to message #282558] Thu, 22 November 2007 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is a question for 1) you DBA and 2) you SA
This is not a point that a developer should care.

Regards
Michel
Re: ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris [message #282564 is a reply to message #282558] Thu, 22 November 2007 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkulasek
Hi
I am doing a feasibility study of our application on ORACLE 10g RAC.
I am expected to certify that our application runs fine/better on ORACLE RAC.
Based on this certification, we hope to roll this out to our customers and explain to them the benefits of running our database on RAC
Re: ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris [message #282578 is a reply to message #282564] Thu, 22 November 2007 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Certification is not developer business.
If you want to test your application in RAC, ask your DBA to install a RAC for you.
This is not an easy way, you have to be a senior DBA to configure RAC.

Regards
Michel
Re: ORACLE 10g RAC On Solaris [message #282818 is a reply to message #282558] Fri, 23 November 2007 18:00 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Just to add,
>>study the performance of our database in a Oracle 10g RAC setup
Oracle RAC has nothing special to do with performance. It can do load balancing, but cannot improve anything magically. With RAC you only avoid a single node failure.
Sun Cluster is not an absolute requirement. You can install Oracle 10g RAC on nodes with or without sun cluster.
>> ORACLE requires some Cluster software for running RAC
Which is actually Oracle related stuff provided by Oracle.
Once you have configured the shared disks and use ASM appropriately , create some filesystems (OCFS/whatever) and install CRS, the database creation is pretty much straight forward.

As it is already been said here, it requires a lot of System and Database Administrator level of work.
Previous Topic: listener error
Next Topic: RAC listeners configuration problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:08:23 CDT 2024